Visitors Last Year
When the gallery first opened
Oils, watercolours, drawings & prints
Williamson Art Gallery & Museum is minutes from the heart of Birkenhead, on the edge of Oxton village.
We opened to the public in 1928. The Williamson Art Gallery & Museum was funded through Birkenhead Borough Council by the philanthropists John Williamson, a Director of the Cunard Steamship Company Ltd, and his son Patrick Williamson. Find out more about our history.
Our gallery displays include artworks, ceramics, sculptures, and maritime history. It is also home to the largest public collection of Della Robbia pottery in the UK and to some internationally important paintings. Find out more about our collections.
Exhibitions at the Williamson Art Gallery & Museum are always free.
It is centrally located and easily accessible by car and local transport, with free parking.
Educational and group visits
We welcome educational, party and group visits. Primary and Secondary schools are welcome to visit us for self-led activities.
Advance booking is required and can be made by contacting us on 0151 666 3537.
The Williamson is licensed as a wedding venue; click the link to the Weddings page for more details.