About the Artist/Exhibition
The Sunday Serenades are a programme of musical events held every Sunday throughout the summer at 2pm, arranged by Gethyn Jones for the Williamson and Priory Friends and are very popular with Friends and visitors to the gallery.
e are very grateful for to all our performers and volunteer “introducers”. We have had yet another array of wonderful performers at the Williamson for the Sunday Serenades 2018
in 2018. Many thanks to Gethyn for yet again pulling it all together.
- May 27th – William Bracken (piano).
the eagerly awaited return of this exciting young talent from Wirral, with a programme of Bach, Beethoven, Debussy, Rachmaninov & Crumb.
- June 3rd – Neil Campbell (guitar)
- June 10th – The Ensemble of St. Luke’s present a programme of string quartets by Haydn & Beethoven.
- June 17th – Christos Stylianides Quintet: Gifted young jazz trumpeter Christos returns with his dynamic group for a concert of original compositions and jazz standards.
- June 24th – Fiona Fulton (flute) & Ian Buckle (piano).On Midsummer’s Day, a programme of music celebrating sunshine and the outdoors, including “Summer Music” by Richard Rodney Bennett & Debussy’s “Prelude a l’apres-midi d’un faune”.
- July 1st – Birkenhead School Chapel Choir
- July 8th – Olly Chalk Trio:
A welcome return for this exciting and innovative jazz ensemble, featuring Olly Chalk (piano), Sam Ingvorsen (bass) and Wirral’s own Gwilym Jones (drums).
- July 15th – TBC
- July 22nd – Another piano prodigy from the Wirral, Taner Kemirtlek, demonstrates the concept of Yin & Yang through his work.
- July 29th – Pixels Ensemble: Sophie Rosa (violin), Alex Holladay (cello) & Ian Buckle (piano), present a programme of piano trios by Mozart and Brahms and piano etudes by Helene de Montgeroult.
- August 5th – Soloists from the Orchestra dell’Arte perform Schubert’s Octet.
- August 12th – Pianist Richard Casey performs works by Lili & Nadia Boulanger & their disciples Aaron Copland & Leonard Bernstein.
- August 19th – Heather Heighway (soprano) ‘How sweet the heartache’ Accompaniment: Tim Kennedy, Soprano: Heather Heighway
A musical journey through the highs and lows of love. Featuring arias from operas such as Eugene Onegin, Rigoletto, The Marriage of Figaro and many more.
- August 26th – We end the season in style, with a debut at the Serenades for the RLPO’s Section Principal Cellist Jonathan Aasgaard, who will perform works by Weinberg & Britten.
All concerts begin at 2pm, café open before and after the concert.
Free admission but donations are warmly welcomed. Please note that the concerts are now costing more to run than is received. In previous years, the costs have equalled the donations, this sadly is not the case this year and with increasing demands on the charity – the continuing commitment to supporting annual programmes and new projects, it may be difficult to keep the concerts entirely free to all in the future.
Williamson Art Gallery & Museum, Slatey Road, Birkenhead CH43 4UE
0151 666 3537, williamsonartgallery.org
We encourage you to join the Friends today by emailing the Friends committee email@example.com or downloading the forms from the FRIENDS section of the website under ABOUT or click here.
Membership runs from January to December and can be paid by cheque or cash annually or by standing order.FRIENDS receive newsletters and private view invitations as well as being entitled to discounts in several partnered businesses in Liverpool and Wirral as well as the cafe, art shop, book shop and our own gallery shop at the Williamson and Priory.