Hit Enter to Search
As Harold Rathbone was no potter, he collaborated with two sculptors, Conrad Dressler and Giovanni Carlo Manzoni, who were able to work in three dimensions. In addition one or two experienced potters came from Staffordshire but, apart from them, Rathbone took on a group of local young people to train them up in the art of pottery and design. He believed that everyone had within them a spark of creativity and he wanted an opportunity to nurture any latent talent.
The pottery that came out of number 2A Price Street, Birkenhead, (and later from Argyle Street too) was sold in exhibitions throughout the country, through Liberty’s Regent Street shop in London and William Morris’s own company. It was very varied, very colourful, especially known for using a characteristic turquoise, and for 13 years was a reasonable success. A great deal of pottery was produced, from tea sets and small vases to fountains and large architectural decorations.
The pottery closed in 1906 and was forgotten about for many years, as Victorian art was out of fashion. Large wall plaques are in Birkenhead Central Library and the important collection of Della Robbia Pottery housed at the Williamson Art Gallery & Museum, Birkenhead, began to be formed in the 1920’s and now numbers nearly 250 pieces.